Friday, October 3, 2008

WBSN: Web based social networking


The internet has given rise to a new social phenomenon: internet powered networking, known as 'web based social networking' (WBSN). The sites Facebook and MySpace are examples of these.

I typed "social networking" into our online library database SpringerLink (offers full text :-) articles on a number of areas but notably information technology and life science) and got 880 results.
There is a good popular article in today's Sydney Morning Herald on the Kiss and Tell of Social Networks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone,

This is my first 'response' to an article so I'm not 100% sure on what to do but thought I'd give it a go!!

I guess social networking is something we are all extremely familiar with! It played a big part in my undergraduate degree. Being an external student, I wasn't able to meet up with other students and talk about topics or assignments but thankfully there was a group formed on facebook with other students in the same school. It was great to be able to share ideas and get help from other students when needed. It formed a great support base for everyone.

Of course on the other side, social networking can be a major distraction!!!

Bev