Tuesday, September 16, 2008

How users read on the web

Successful writing for the web entails understanding how people read on the web. According to Dr Jakob Nielsen, people don't! They don't read - they scan instead. You can access his studies on readability, research how people read websites, and learn how to improve web writing strategies.

The information is based on academic studies which illustrate how little people read on the web ...

I wish the web designers of many university websites (including our own) would have read Dr Nielsen's short and informative page ...

2 comments:

ISY00244 said...

Elisabeth in class mentioned this amusing 'spelling doesn't matter' text ("I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch...")

Here's a good academic analysis of what's going on:

http://www.youtube.com/v/TNStNUizxhE&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3

Anonymous said...

I have never thought about it until now, but it is so true!!! I don't think I've ever actually 'read' anything on the internet. Even when researching articles, I scan through the abstract and if it looks good, I'll print it out and then read and highlight!!!

The 'spelling doesn't matter' thing is a bit crazy isn't it! Apparently if the first and last letter are correct and all the others are jumbled, then the human brain can still read the word!!